The Interweb

So I'm sitting at work doodling my time away on Facebook and Gmail - the interweb in general is a great way to idle my time, for example I just spent 20 minutes ordering free teeth whitening kits because of the interweb's superior advertising mechanisms. I'm sure you've seen the add titled "Secret Teeth Whitening Combo Discovered By A Mom Who Spent Just $10." check it out at www.CathysTeethWhiteningSuccess.com - when I come to a realization. The Internet is amazing. I had that realization for the first time in the 6th grade when AOL Instant Messenger came out and I begged my mom to buy AOL (which we all know has terrible customer service and no one uses anymore) so I could talk to boys. I was too scared to do that even on the phone.

I also remember that AOL was like, the only Internet provider at first, and we got probably a dozen free trial CDs in the mail per week, plus free ones that were handed out at the grocery store, the bank, school, the playground, I swear I remember seeing them sitting out everywhere, like a CD plague, so my brothers and I started experimenting on them. We discovered if you put them in the microwave they semi-explode then make a cool matrixy design on the back. Oh the days of boredom that drove us to put random things in the microwave. Those days were good. Now that I think about it I have no idea how our microwaves survived, but I don't ever remember having it replaced...I also think this legacy started with my Dad back in the day when my older brother was a wee little nugget. Yes, here comes the story.

My mom left the two boys at home and my dad decided to try to cook an egg (a raw egg in its shell) in the microwave. You can tell microwaves were still kind of newish, because there is no logic behind this idea. DO NOT TRY THIS. It exploded ALL over the microwave and my mom says it stunk like rotten eggs for days. That is nasty. So apparently it was in our genes to play with the microwave. Thank you Percy LeBron Spencer for your glorious invention. And thanks Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Spencer

I reiterate again, I love the Internet.

2 comments:

I have a few thoughts about this blog:
1- just a slight correction, i think Juno was actually before AOL. and yes, my grandpa STILL uses juno!
2- as a child i didnt experiment with the microwave, it was the garbage disposal that fascinated me! my favorite was grinding up popsicle sticks. they make and awesome sound!
3- i *heart* your blog!

 

nice. my sister used to cook her eggs (no shell) in a bowl covered with plastice wrap in the microwave during college. as soon as she took off the wrap the rotten egg STENCH would fill the whole apartment. it was gross.