"Digging for Gold"

I'll be the first to admit that I love picking my nose. Especially since the installment of my nose ring. Those damn stubborn boogies, or "bougies" if you're Harry Potter, love to cling to the stainless steel in my nose. So the sheer relief I feel after a minute of good old fashioned digging is probably the best form of instant gratification. EVER.

I'm sure Micah would love to tell you that I love picking my nose as well, and then bitch about how I "sprinkle the boogies in our bed". I don't sprinkle them in the bed Micah. I sprinkle them on the carpet NEXT to the bed. And who vacuums the floors 99% of the time? Me. So technically I'm taking care of it just fine, whilst saving the planet by not using tissues. WIN freakin WIN.

So I am obviously NOT the kind of person who only picks their nose in the bathroom with the door shut with copious amounts of tissue, but I still have MANNERS people! Let me back up before I tell you the story that inspired this post by explaining the how to's and where's of Jen's nose picking.

1. I pick in the car. The odds that someone I actually know will pass by me in the 60 seconds I'm digging away are so not likely. Even if someone I knew did drive by, would they even see me or know who I am? The only way you REALLY get a good look at another fellow car driver is if you're stopped at a stop light side by side. I try to minimize my picking during these more highly exposed times. However, even if someone I knew happened to see me, I don't care. It's my business what I do in my car!

2. I pick at my desk. Since changing our cubicle setup and the only thing dividing me and my cubicle mate is a piece of glass, I try to be more discrete and use a tissue. But she's chill and we kick it outside of work, so I really don't think she cares. *Side note, I do not sprinkle my boogies on company carpet. I use a tissue to dispose of said stuff, but still like to use my fingers. They're so tiny and useful.

3. I pick at home. Everywhere, anytime. I mean, seriously, if I can't be comfortable at home, then it's not home.

But I don't blatantly pick my nose in front of strangers or look people in the eye whilst doing so. If I’m sick or something is dangling - then maybe I'd do something about it emergency style...but always discreet. Because, let's face it, boogers are gross. They always are gross and no one else needs to see mine, and I don't need to see yours, or imagine seeing yours.

 This has been on my mind as of yesterday around 5:00 pm because of the following:

I'm leaving work. Being lazy and taking the elevator down 2 floors. Well, not lazy really, more like because I was in pain from my pumps that I wore all day. My piggies were hurting! So I'm in there alone, and I hit the first floor. The doors open up and there is this woman there staring at me with her finger up her nose. Now I may have excused it if she had acted like she was embarrassed and quickly removed her finger. But alas, she was neither embarrassed nor surprised. She was downright PROUD to have that finger up her nose. She even smiled at me, walked past me and got into the elevator all while still digging to China town. I mean, SERIOUSLY?! I get it, you're the only one waiting for the elevator and you take a quick sneaky pick. But the little DING of the elevator should be some kind of alert to you like "Hey crazy lady, take your finger out of your nose, someone might be in that elevator". But no. It didn't even phase her.

And frankly, it was a tad bit disgusting.

But I still love picking my nose at the right place and at the right time. And if you happen to drive by one day and catch me, just laugh at me and forgive me for being a tiny bit OCD for a clean nose and a tiny bit crazy. Ok, maybe more than a tiny bit.

2 comments:

I love you - almost as much as I loved reading this post!

 

I died laughing reading this post! HAHA! And it's true--everyone does a little pickin'. People who deny it are probably the worst pickers! Jen, please keep writing. You crack me up.