Vegan Cats

I'm sure by the sheer title of this post, most of you are rolling your eyes and slightly, or perhaps vigorously, shaking your head in dismay, disbelief, or sheer dumbfoundedness at my utter weirdness. But to quote Alice in Wonderland (I ADORE Tim Burton) - "all the best people are a bit mad". I may have totally effed that up, but you get the point.



So - cat food is expensive and who knows what they hell is really in it. That's how I feel about most pre-packaged foods I eat. So I prefer to cook from scratch as often as possible. So why on earth would I not do the same for my precious little baby girls? I know - what HAVE I been thinking all this time? I also think to myself, I'm healthy being vegan, so why not my carnivorous cats?! Oh yes, I have gone there. And so have A LOT of other people, by the way.



So there is one amino acid cats require that comes from meat, it's like, aquamarine or some crazy named sciencey type word, and someone found a way to make a synthetic version. So, I can now feed my cats homemade vegan food. I tried a recipe the other night that had chickpeas and olive oil and tofu and I swear I could eat it, but then you add this confetti of weird smelling stuff into it (the stuff that has this aquamarine shit in it) and it immediately smells awful. Sophie, being the sweet amazing pet that she is, at least TRIED the stuff. She licked off the cheesy tasting nutritional yeast I sprinkled on it to mask the nastiness, but Tabitha. YEAH RIGHT. She came up to the bowl, sniffed it, and then stomped her paws in it - NO JOKE - like HELL NO. Then she looked at me with this face like, who are you kidding? That cat food you mixed in IS FOOLING NO ONE. She then refused to look at me the rest of the night. Ok, so THAT recipe failed. You know your cats hate something when they refuse to eat it and then don’t even whine. I mean, they had to have been starving. Cats are so fickle and snobish. What kind of animal would rather starve than eat something semi ok gross? Oh yea - my princess cats. I'm rolling my eyes right now.



So tomorrow is the kibble adventure. I think making my own hard food that looks like what they eat now is going to be a better bet. They even suggested putting imitation bacon bits in it. That BLEW MY MIND. How could they not ADORE me and their food if there was BACON tasting goodness in the food? I figure my odds are pretty incredible. So, I'm off tomorrow to find these said bacon bits and cook my little bratty angels something they may like.



By the way, I'm totally head over heels in love with my cats, if you didn't already know.

1 comments:

Way too funny! I love reading your post. Cats are really picky though. I can't wait to hear how tomorrow goes with the other type of food.